Tuesday, September 9, 2014

HBCU Homecoming Experience: Howard HC vs. North Carolina A & T GHOE

DISCLAIMER: This is based on MY experience! Don't go off of my opinion, I suggest that you go see for yourself how they are to get the full experience. (I don't want anyone coming at me for my thoughts lol)

Since I was not able to get the HBCU experience as I thought I wanted, I just figured I can at least get a taste of it by going to the homecomings. While in college, I attended 2 HBCU homecomings: Howard University and NCAT "GHOE" (Greatest Homecoming on Earth) and both were definitely an experience that I was glad to be apart of! With going to both of these, I've come to the conclusion that Howard was better when it came to events and NCAT was better when it came to parties.

Why Howard was better for the events..
One word. Drake. I was able to see Drake and 2 Chainz for FREE at the Yardshow in 2012. Everything/body was so live! Although there was a terrible down pour which quickly ended the Yardshow, still. I got to see Drake for free. Also, the step show was AMAZING, with Pusha T as the host. I thought that was so trill.

When it came to the parties, my friends and I were going to go to a house party (I know one isn't enough, but that's all we needed to know for us to see how they would be that weekend).. which had a long line.. and was charging.. in the words of Michael Kyle from MWAK "Eh.. Neh". We were good on that lol. Other than that, just being in DC at the time was exciting for us. Being able to explore the city and meet new people. Here are some pics from the homecoming:
 photo 5452fcc9-2eb1-44f7-90e0-1aeacc831d6f.jpg
Me and Tay. This was at the Stepshow
 photo f671543b-7fd7-4ef8-a19e-b214002a171b.jpg
Our taxi driver, with O in the back.
 photo 010baf42-a72a-47e7-9e55-d650f71f5240.jpg
Drake y 2 Chainz at the Yardshow
 photo 7cc9d4d6-c931-4558-b8d4-1e231ffc000f.jpg
This was one of the many people that we met, Her name was Ana, if I remember correctly. Cool peeps.
 photo b39ab291-936b-4c9f-bd07-6745db518f6a.jpg

Why NCAT was better for the parties..
One of the reasons why I was so excited for this, was to not only experience their HC but to also see my friend, Abria aka Breezy! I haven't seen her in such a long time, so it was really good to see her. While I was there, I seriously felt like I was going to collapse from no sleep. There was always something to do. From the club to house parties, they were so fun! Everybody knows homecoming parties are always more live than regular parties throughout the year. Also to just experience the club/house parties that are outside your school/area was fun.

The events there were okay, but they did not really impress me too much. We went to a football game, a step show, and a greek event I think. I was just more impressed by the parties than the events. Below are some pics from GHOE:

This was the bottle I brought for the festivities.
 photo 772812fa-9b3b-4ad8-a5ad-aa5fe8207bf3.jpg
Me and Breezy!
 photo 105db708-2425-4e14-9142-1eab52673a05.jpg photo 083e2cab-8776-4676-b35b-10dd6ba701fa.jpg photo 499c89c6-8c00-45fa-977a-4fc701a0a14a.jpg


Both schools are definitely amazing, going to these homecomings made me rethink my choice of not going to an HBCU honestly. I definitely suggest that if you also want to get an HBCU experience, that you go to a homecoming! It's just a taste but if you go to a good one, it'll be enough. If you went to either homecoming, let me know your thoughts on them! Do you agree? Disagree? Comment below!
-XO Jena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...